Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Tasty Tuesdays!

Tonight's dinner was going to be spaghetti, but then I received an e-mail from my sister that we will be doing birthday dinner for Mom on Thursday, and we are having spaghetti. So instead of giving you my runner up spaghetti sauce from our Spaghetti cook off (that's my nice way of saying I lost the spaghetti cook off to my hubby), I will give you a few tips. I shared some of these the other day with my cousin's wife Katie. We were talking about how to get the kids to eat more fruits and veggies and I shared with her some ideas. So enjoy, and please share any other great tips you may have!

  • Cut up zuchinni in very small peices and sneak them into spaghetti sauce. (Maybe that's why I lost the cook off?)
  • When you bring home whole fruits and veggies, chop them up right away. If they are easy and accessible, you are more likely to use them. I cut up a whole cantaloupe, and store it in a Tupperware container in the fridge. I also cut up a whole head of celery and put it into snack bags that are quick to grab in the morning for the kid's lunches.
  • Applesauce in pancake batter is a great way to sneak in some fruit.
  • My kids love peanut butter on celery. I'm not a fan, but they love it.
  • My Mom always put fruit in jello. We loved it!
  • Muffins!! Blueberry, Banana, Applesauce, Zucchini.......
  • And don't forget dip! Most kids will eat fresh veggies if they have ranch to dip it in.

1 comment:

Tiff said...

It took me a minute to figure out what you were saying here. i read, "Cut up a whole head of CABBAGE" for the kids' lunches, and I had a hard time picturing any child going to school and pulling out a hunk of cabbage to munch on. Thanks for the (unintended) laugh!