Friday, June 11, 2010

Life Skills


We decided that Nate is old enough to learn how to mow the lawn. We have both a push mower and a rider, and he's learning both. I learned how to mow the lawn when I was his age. I was talking to my Dad about that and we were remembering when he had to put bricks on the seat of the lawn mower, because I barely weighed enough to keep the safety feature on (if your weight came off of the seat, it would kill the mower). Every time I took a bump, the mower would die. So Dad put bricks on the seat to help me out.

I have been talking to friends lately about how Nate is learning how to mow the lawn. Others have questioned when to teach their kids also. I think as parents we know when kids are ready to learn, and are responsible enough.

I think it's very important for kids to have chores, and learn responsibility. On top of that, things like laundry and dishes are life skills that kids need to learn and practice (for years!) before they leave the house. They need to be confident in these skills, which takes time and practice.

So if you pass my house and the mowing job looks a bit shabby, know that Nate is learning, and practice makes perfect!

1 comment:

Betty said...

I think it's wonderful that your teaching you children life skills and a work ethic. Children need to learn to be responsible and profitable human beings. Good job mom.