Friday, February 6, 2009

My Hero


Joe Moser was our neighbor when I was growing up. He and his wife Jean were like Grandparents to us kids. I remember shelling peas from their garden with Jean on her back patio. They always made popcorn balls for us when we stopped by on Halloween. I knew as a child that Joe was a war hero, but had no idea about the details. Last week Joe received the Distinguished Flying Cross, awarded to him over 60 years after he should have recieved it. He also wrote a book about being a pilot in World War II, and being shot down and sent to a concentration camp. It's an amazing story that even his own family didn't know about until 20 years ago. He is a kind, loving man, very humble with few words. Last night there was a gathering for him to show a video of him getting his award and to have him sign books. My family all attended and we were excitted to be there to support our hero. I can't wait to read his book, it's called A Fighter Pilot In Buchenwald. Joe thank you for your service to our country, we are so proud of you and your sacrifices.

No comments: