Saturday, August 22, 2009

Corn on the cob=Summer

I have always loved corn on the cob. Something about it just screams summer to me. As a child we had acres of sweet corn and we sold it along side of the road. I was only 10 years old when I learned to make change and do math by 13's. Can you believe that we sold corn for 13 ears for a $1. I once had a man tell me he couldn't take 13 because it was an unlucky number. I threw an extra ear in his bag and told him he would be fine now. Really, I was only 10 years old. That's only one year older than Nate, yikes! I was also driving a four wheeler around the corn fields, and the next year it was an old Toyota truck. I ran over a lot of corn stalks with that thing. But, I learned to drive a stick shift and learned lessons on hard work. When I was 13 we started the family fruit stand, and I worked in there all summer and fall for the next 7 years. I really miss the fruit stand and the fun we had.

Because of all that, I am REALLY picky about my corn on the cob. I will not buy corn from the grocery store. Corn on the cob is best the day (or hour) it's picked. Yesterday I stopped by Grandma and Grandpa's to get some corn. Grandma couldn't believe that I would only get 4 ears of corn. I had to explain that I was only taking enough for dinner, and I would be back in a couple days to get more.

So here is my trick back from the farm days to the best corn on the cob. Place a pot of water to boil. Walk to the garden and pick the corn. Shuck the corn on the way back to the house. Place the corn in the boiling water and cook for 8-10 minutes. Take the corn out and roll it in butter.........ahhhh heaven! And if you don't have your own garden with corn, go support the kids on the roadside selling corn!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I miss your fruit n veggie stand too...so many memories for lots of us there. Such as me picking way more corn than Marty! =)
I loved the football games the best after a days work of pickin corn though!